Thank you very much rpasiok.
I went with the pgAdmin route, chose the "custom" option, but accepted all the defaults.
Made sure and created the postgis extension prior to restoring, which required that I first create a database. I gave the database the same name as the one I would be restoring.
Then I restored.
It didn't seem to be working at first. It didn't originally give me any DB connection options in the drop down in RiverGIS, but then I played around a bit, getting in and out of the QGIS file and pgadminIII dialog a couple times and it started working. I'm not sure what exactly fixed it.